Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Connecticut adventures part I

Danny's parents were able to help us move all of our stuff across the country-practically. We were able to get a truck and a trailer from AP fireplace for our many things. We are so grateful for their offer to move us!

I woke up with Jakob around 4:00 a.m. and then we left at 5:00...5:15....okay, 5:30. The plan was 5:00, but you know how that goes. It was an early rise, but we were excited and anxious. We headed toward Wyoming on I-80 and watched the sun rise. If you look closely at this picture you will see me...we had to pull over and jump out of the car to take this picture. It was a nice little break from driving.

We drove for a couple of miles when all of a sudden we saw a group of windmills lining the horizon. Danny was thrilled! Immediately he began calculating how fast they were spinning, how long each blade was, and how tall the mills stood from the ground. From far away it was neat to watch the mills turn in unison with the wind. I took some pictures and said, "this is such a tourist-y thing to do." Danny said, "or just a nerdy thing to do." We were both right.

We made it to Nebraska! This time I made Danny jump out of the car while I took the picture from inside the car. I haven't ever been to Nebraska before. It's not much different from Wyoming, except that they have corn fields. While we drove in Wyoming it snowed for a little bit, but it rained in Nebraska the entire time! Danny was pretty sick of it because our windshield wipers are great wiping up, but absolutely terrible wiping down. Weird!

On our drive we had to get far enough ahead of Danny's parents so we could stop to feed Jakob without delaying our destination times. This was working out like a charm! On one particular stop, as we started to get back onto I-80, we got a phone call from Danny's mom telling us that the trailer wheel had taken a spill. Luckily they were ahead of us at the time so we didn't have to turn around. I guess the tread of one of the wheels had seen its last day. So in the pouring rain, Danny and his dad put the spare tire on and we used the GPS to find the nearest tire repair in Sydney Nebraska.
Both of the tires needed to be replaced. The entire ordeal took about an hour and 30 minutes, putting us close to 15 hours on our first day. We were all exhausted by the time we got to the hotel.

We were driving through Sydney Nebraska and found out that it happens to be the Home Town of Cabela's. There is an entire city devoted to this beloved outdoor-shop for men, which we all love in Utah, especially my brother, so I took pictures of it for sentimental purposes.
The picture above is headquarters and the picture below is the actual store. It's hard to see because of the clouds and rain. Good ol' rainy Nebraska!


SIDE NOTE: Danny's dad figured out that it was the weight of the motorcycle that was hard on the wheels, so the next morning in the pouring rain, both of them hauled the motorcycle in the back of the truck. They were drenched!

No comments: