Okay, so Jakob's birthday was a huge success! We managed to dodge the rain and really enjoy the day before independence day. Our weekend was looking good.
Friday morning rolls around and the dreaded phrase that ALWAYS goes into question was asked: What do you want to do today? Me being the big "pary" planner started brainstorming. It was hard work, especially because I'm not familiar with how CT does things around the 4th.
So I planned for the usual parade, picnic/BBQ, fireworks, etc. and the day was nearly complete. Only one problem...while looking online for community information I found out the closest parade was 35 miles away, during the heart of Jakob's nap time, and the fire work shows were all scheduled for the July 3rd. PERFECT!!! I was actually quite disappointed.
We thrwarted onward and made new plans: Going on a hike, picnic in the mountains, swimming at the pool, BBQ ribs, and fireworks.
Our day ended up going something like this:
Part 1
put the BBQ ribs in the oven for slow cooking
put the BBQ ribs in the oven for slow cooking
wait for Jakob to wake up from nap at 10:30
finish making and packing lunches for our picnic
follow GPS directions to the nearest hiking trail
found a trail that said "Blackledge Falls" (Sounds cool, right? Like there might be some pretty sweet falls at the end of the trail?)
start the hike
get lost on the hike-because there are a million other loops off the main trail
walk under big power lines, because we were technically still in a residential area
walk right into a swarm of mosquitos-luckily we were armed with bug spray
got to the end of the trail.....no Blackledge Falls to be seen, although we could hear them
turned around and tried to find our own trail to the rushing water
finally found a trail near the falls and realized we were back at the beginning
walked through a jungle of vines and trees
got to the falls and realized it was actually a man-made reservoire titled something cool
saw snakes in the trees we had just walked through
tried to find courage to walk back through the snake filled trees
decided that I should lead the group and ended up slipping in a mud hole after seeing a snake on the ground
ran as fast as I could to the beginning of the trail-Danny followed laughing
realized that hikes in CT don't necessarily mean there is going to be something spectacular at the end :)
Part 2
decided not to eat our picnic lunch near the snakes
tried to find a park
tried to find a park
found a park that cost 12 dollars....yeah right
decided it was getting close to Jakob's second nap so we should just picninc at home
had a picnic in our backyard
took a nap-Jakob and I did
Part 3
woke up ready to go swimming
walked outside and realized it was too cold and windy for swimming
stayed home and watched T.V.
got a call from grandparents, but started feeling bad when they mentioned they were headed to a BBQ at big brother's house
ate BBQ ribs, potatoes and cooked carrots
ate cake
decided to put Jakob to bed, since there weren't any big firework events near us
Part 4
watched more TV
heard fireworks outside, but couldn't see anything
sat outside in the dark, watching fireflies and the moon-while listening to other families enjoy their firework filled holiday
CRIED......yes, i cried. No fireworks for the 4th? Who are we?
went to bed
See why I hesitated to post? Pathetic, I know. But that is what we did. I guess it was fun and filled with adventure, but nothing like what I'm use to doing with family in Utah. *tear
Oh, and another reason for crying was because I remembered that we brought Jakob home from the hospital on the fourth. Danny and I watched fireworks from our front door in riverton, while holding our baby. AWWWWW. Precious!
6 comments:
We didn't watch any fireworks either on the 4th so don't feel bad.
thanks emily. that really does make me feel better. :)
We only saw a few fireworks as well! Kids are still too young to venture to the park:) You did a whole heck of a lot more than we did and we missed you guys! I can't believe Jakob is 1...did you get the book we sent???
We didn't do fireworks either... we just had a marshmallow gun fight
We watched the (Macy and Boston) fireworks on TV and listened to and watched the illegal ones on the next street over.
Otherwise really quiet.
Janeal, Jakob got the book. Thanks! It is darling.
I'm glad to read that I wasn't the only one not enjoying fire works for the fourth. I guess it's really not that big of a deal. :)
Post a Comment