I was reading an article in the Ensign a couple of days ago titled Better Blogging: Tips for safety and Courtesy (if you haven't read it yet, and you are a blogger, you should! It never hurts. p.27)
Most of the information was a good reminder of how to stay safe while blogging-avoiding specific information, being postivite, respecting others' work-but then I came across the topic BLOG COURTESY and read this paragraph under Think before you Post: "Search engines are the "conscience" of the Internet. They can call up almost any Web site from any period of time. So assume that what you post on your blog is permanent. The pictures of your children doing silly things as little kids may be funny or cute right now, but imagine those same pictures appearing when your children are 12 or 45. Carefully consider the pictures you post and the things you write." Good point, huh? This paragraph put a little twist on my blogging efforts because I post a lot of pictures, but do those family members want me posting their pictures as a permanent google search online? And would Jakob, 16 years from now, think it's cool that his pictures of toddlerhood are floating around cyberspace for anyone to view? I'm not so sure.
So the question for now is How do I balance the blogging world with pictures? Do I continue posting cute, adorable pictures or avoid them altogether? or Do I make my blog more secure, only inviting close family and friends to view it? Either way, the pictures are permanent and will show up in the future....I'm so torn! (I guess I need some feedback)
No comments:
Post a Comment