How do you measure success? For me, it's accomplishing a dream.
I woke up feeling nervous and a bit scared. What if I get too tired? What if my legs just stop? These and other concerns filled my mind as I stretched and prepared for my run. You have Gatorade and GU packs for strength, and your cell phone for an emergency, you are prepared and ready to go. Everything will be fine.
The run started and I had to find my pace. My focus was to finish, not make it in a certain time, so pace was everything.
The sun was out, shining in its merry way, but its rays were shielded by my hat and the soft, cool breeze that accented the air. It was a picture perfect day for a long run.
Saturday morning meant sharing the road with groups of all types of runners. Some were preparing for long distance races, others showed exhaustion as if it were their first time running. We were all out together, sharing a common goal: accomplishing dreams.
I gained speed alongside two women who I could tell were friends by the quality of their conversation. I was curious about them. I wanted to know how far they were running, so I asked:
How far are you running?
"5.1 miles"
Good for you!
"How about you?"
Oh,18.
"Wow! Are you training with the marathon group?"
No, but I'm training for a marathon.
"Good Job. You are my idol!"
I thought about "You are my idol" for most of my run. I thought about how I felt when I first started running/training for my marathon. I didn't know how it all worked. I didn't know if I was doing things correctly. I was EXACTLY where this lady was five months ago. I too had an "idol" or a dream. Danny was/is my "idol" because he is such a natural runner and my dream was/is to complete 26.2 miles.
I have accomplished small dreams in my training, like running 10 miles without stopping and finishing the length of a half marathon, but today I accomplished a new dream. A dream that didn't actually happen until this day. Considering myself to be a long distance runner was a dream that wasn't on my list of accomplishments, until now.
I am starting to get more and more excited and less nervous for this marathon. It is less than two months away and I feel like I am preparing the best I can. My final accomplishment will be to run 26.2 miles and I can't wait!
Favorite Moment:
My muscles were tight, my joints were sore, and I was running on the side of the road because in Connecticut there just aren't many sidewalks. I couldn't do much more but focus on making it home and trying not to get hit from oncoming traffic. I was coming around the bend, finishing the final stretch of my run, and noticed a woman with a stroller in the distance. I wonder if she realizes this road doesn't have a sidewalk, I thought. I kept my focus, trying not to worry about the cars driving past me. Oh she notices. She's turning around...oh wait, she's stopping right there? (there was a parking space on the road, right next to an overpass) Oh, that's not a woman. That's a man. Oops. I kept running, not paying too much attention to the details of the situation. I looked up again, Oh wait...that's Danny! And the kids! I got closer to my beautiful family and heard Danny and Jakob yelling, "Go MOM! You can do it!" I desperately wanted to stop and give them all hugs and kisses, but I knew I had gone this far and I had to finish. I must have had the biggest, most cheesy grin the rest of the way home. It was the best ending to a rather difficult accomplishment, and it sure made the last stretch easier to endure. I LOVE MY GUYS!
4 comments:
I love that they went to go cheer you on. When I was training for a 5k Spencer brought the kids out as I was running home and it's so fun to hear them cheering like you're doing the greatest thing in the world. :)
Good work on the training. That really is great!
That was fun of Danny to take the kids to cheer you on. But I wonder about the fact that you initially thought he was a woman. Does he need his hair cut?
I got all teary eyed there at the end for you. I totally understand... Running 18 miles and then seeing a familiar face. :: sigh::.. there really isn't anything like it.
So glad you posted about your training.. i was gonna ask if you'd run your race yet.
Super cool! I am very impressed...keep it up!
Post a Comment