March, 2009
South Windsor, CT
Lately I've been thinking about parenthood and I've decided that I really don't enjoy the learn-as-you-go system. I also don't like "experimenting" to figure out a problem because sometimes I'm just really bad at it. Unfortunately the trial and error tactics of parenting is a great way to learn what works well for your child, and will often apply with your second and third so it makes sense to learn for yourself what works so your other children will benefit from it, right? That's the idea, at least.
Danny and I were excited when we were "allowed" to give Jakob people food. It was convenient to plop a few things on his tray while we ate meals together or give him some snacks to munch on while I figured out dinner and what not. It was a nice change to pureed food.
When introducing new foods, Jakob would eat anything we fed him. He didn't seem to mind textures or tastes-why that has changed now, I still can't figure it out. He also wasn't shy about shoveling handfuls of food into his mouth. He loved to eat; and us, being the awesome parents we are, let him eat it if he liked it.
When it came time to give him dairy, Danny gleamed at his desire and love for cheese. "That's my boy!" I can remember him admiring. I thought it was cute. Jakob would finish his taste, then demand more. I gladly gave him more as long as he was hungry and liked what he was eating. He especially liked cottage cheese. It has a nice texture and a great taste. I started him off with a little bit and then Danny gave him another serving when he demanded it. He was happily eating his food and we were surprised by his appetite.
We washed him off, got him ready for bed and a few hours later he woke up crying, no screaming! We both looked at each other baffled. What is his problem?!? He squirmed and tinged at every movement. He screamed when we held him and screamed when we put him down. I tried nursing him, but he fought me and screamed even louder. It took a few hours to calm him down and even longer for us to realize what we had done: we fed him too much dairy.
We had many of these moments, often not realizing it until it was too late. We eventually became more aware of his limits and tried to adjust, but unfortunately we still made mistakes. He still gets gassy with dairy, but his body is handling it better
Well.....with Molly I have been extremely cautious with what I feed her. It has been somewhat easier since she doesn't take well to new tastes and textures, so I know her limits. I know what she likes and how much of it she eats. It has been easy going so far, until last the last few days.
I started noticing that Molly has more and more crabby; she cries and wants to be held all the time. I figured it was a result of her bottom teeth cutting through so I haven't done much to find a solution. I continued on our regular routine and kept feeding her rice cereal, various purees, and Cheerios. She loves her Cheerios! Sometimes I just sprinkle a bunch on her tray because Jakob has a way of getting to them before she does.
It wasn't until our sleepless night last night that Danny and I realized there was something else going on here: Something that Molly is eating is making her unhappy! Oh right, because we always learn from our mistakes, I should have known that! I started reviewing what I had eaten that day, wondering if it was me, then Danny suggested the Cheerios. Cheerios? Harmless Cheerios? I guess she had a bunch while being watched by a friend during my dentist appointment....and then a bunch while I tried to figure dinner out....and some more during dinner. Okay, I guess we can agree the Cheerios were giving her gas and "backing her up" making it very uncomfortable and painful, thus being unable to sleep. Go me!
I've made the adjustment and she is much happier now!
2 comments:
Cheerios? The staple child food? Who would have thunk?
Interesting what life teaches you eventually. We went through a lot of what you are.
Post a Comment