Sunday, December 5, 2010

New Church Calling

You know you live outside of Utah when you have more than one calling in a years time.  

When we first moved to Connecticut I was called to be a primary teacher.  I loved it because I was really missing my second graders.  And then I was called to be the First Counselor in the primary, which I also loved. After 6 months the primary dissolved right before I had Molly in February.  After a three week break I was called to be on the Relief Society Committee (formerly known as the Enrichment Committee), and a few weeks after that I was called to be a visiting teaching supervisor.  Well, just recently I was released from the R.S.committee and was called to be the Ward Music Chair person. Why they chose me, I still don't know.  My first assignment as a newly called music chair person was to be in charge of the ward Christmas program for our Church party.  They gave me the assignment the week before Thanksgiving and informed me that the party is the first week in December; only two weeks notice!

Well, I think I pulled it off.  I didn't have much time to fumble through practices or dress rehearsals because of the Holiday.  In fact, the one night that two of the groups were able to practice at the church the power went out!  Seriously! So, I pretty much asked a few groups to sing, assigned  accompanists, encouraged practices, and then threw it all together a half hour before the party started.  The 5 men singers met for the first time during that same half hour stretch, as well as the group of boys. 
Needless to say, we didn't successfully pull off a dress rehearsal either because all the groups were in different rooms practicing instead.  I basically told the groups to look for the picture that associates their song to the story of Jesus' birth and that's when they would perform. 

I'm hoping this doesn't reflect how next year will be. 

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh...My...Gosh! You are so positive about it too! WOW, I don't even have words... :)

Anonymous said...

You have a lot to keep you busy don't you?

Laura Shields said...

I am on the RS Committee! So much fun! ha ha!