In years past our family tradition has been camping over Memorial Day weekend. This year, however, we decided to forego that tradition and enjoy a nice quiet holiday at home.
We started our morning with homemade pancakes and then walked to the Glastonbury Memorial Day Parade in our city center. The kids loved it. Especially the stinky dog sitting right next to us. I tried to be creative keeping the peace among the children so I brought along some old popsicles (since last summer). Sadly the only flavors to choose from were Yellow, Yellow, or Yellow.
Jakob loved waving his flag. Molly loved eating her popsicle and demanding that she sit in my chair. It was a great morning!
Immediately after the parade we followed the crowd to The Green (The Cemetery) and listened to a lovely program in honor of those who have served and are currently serving our country.
![]() |
| This digital scrapbooking design personalized with Smilebox |
After the parade I ran around frantically trying to get things prepared for dinner with our friends.
I volunteered to make veggie-mushroom patties, homemade coconut ice cream with fresh fruit as toppers, and beef patties.
Luckily Danny agreed to help me with the veggie patties. I would have been just fine if my original plan to start the ice cream in the morning had worked out, but with stores closed until mid morning for the Holiday and the parade starting at 9, my plans were foiled. I didn't have time to do it ALL by myself in just 5 hours.
Despite the craziness and running around, and the heat from the cooking that added to the already hot house, dinner (and dessert) was fabulous. I forgot my camera to take pictures, but you can take my word for it.

1 comment:
Will you share the recipe for the veggie parties? And also the coconut ice cream. Yum!
Post a Comment