Jakob has fit in amazingly well to the new school year and to ALL the new happenings around us. It was a bit unfair to make him start first grade at a new school with new friends and a new house, but even with all this newness going on he has displayed a mature confidence with each transition.
Just a day before school started we met with Jakob's new teacher, Ms A..., and visited his lovely air conditioned, new (to us) school. I remember feeling a little frazzled visiting the school because we were still getting projects finished on the new house, awaiting more guests (uncle Ron and Aunt Peggy), chasing after a cute baby, and I was trying to figure out how to keep Jakob calm, happy, and excited about his first day of school. It was a lot to take in.
BUT......thank goodness for amazing teachers! After a quick tour of the classroom, meeting cocoa, the classroom stuffed doggie, finding J's seat and name tags (and locker....yes, a locker. He shares it with another classmate. It is located in the hallway just outside his classroom) Ms. A... introduced a special remedy to help calm first grade nerves. "Jitter Glitter"of course! All you have to do is take this special remedy to bed and sprinkle a bit on your head when you feel nervous about the first day of school. Since J loves all things shiny and golden, this jitter glitter was his golden ticket to feeling confident about the first day of school. The concept worked amazingly well for him. I'm glad he was able to connect so quickly with his teacher. I think the stuffed doggie, Cocoa, might have had an affect on him too.
Jakob received a father's blessing to help him be a good example to his friends, choose the right, and to be a responsible and educated student. I think he is well on his way for a successful year. (when I woke him up in the morning I noticed a little bit of jitter glitter in his bead and on the floor. He must have had a few nerves, too)
![]() |
| Make a digital collage |
So far I have been most impressed with:
* Jakob has been able to get on the bus without a fight.
*I have already seen major improvements in his writing, math, and artistic work. He is rising to his teachers expectations.
*With school starting an hour later than what we're use to, J can do more without a fight--like make his bed, get his own snacks, brush his teeth, and sometimes even go for a quick walk around the block. We're up early enough to do all this, I guess.
* Reading homework-book title from guided reading, writing prompt Number and answering questions (characters, setting, problem, solution, etc)
*online sign ups for PTC, classroom needs (tissues, markers, napkins, etc) and volunteer readers
*Monthly outlines (student writes goals/observations, teacher writes goals/observations, parents write goals/observations)
*classroom pet, Cocoa goes home for the weekend. Students take pics and write about their experiences with their lovable friend.
*Treasure chest for outstanding work and "Star Work" displayed in the classroom.
*Mystery Tin (find object. give one question to class. students ask yes/no questions to guess object)
*Show and Tell--specific--bring in one thing that reminds you about your summer.
*Math your way--solve it, show your work, and write it out.
*Writers workshop.....already!?!
*seating arrangements change quarterly.....new classmates and in new formations throughout the room.
I'm looking forward to more things to impress me! and I'm glad he is loving his first grade experience.

No comments:
Post a Comment