Tuesday, November 11, 2008

It finally hit me!

The time has come, the adrenalin is gone....I miss Utah! Yes folks, it's true. Even though I have been trying to stay busy at home and get involved in church activities, I am now feeling the affects of being home sick. These feeling are largely due to the fact that there are things happening in Utah that I am missing out on: sweet baby Brigham, baby shower, birthdays, planning for Thanksgiving, and much, much more! The Holidays are right around the corner and I won't be able to spend it with my family. I had mentally prepared myself for this reality before we left Utah, but the preparation didn't quite help. I need a pick-me-up! Please, I need encouragement people! Let me know that everything is going to be okay.
Danny, Jakob and I are doing well. Danny seems to really like his job because he doesn't complain about it when he gets home. He likes that he works next to his boss-I don't know many that would be able to admit that-and while everyone takes a break at the coffee machine, Danny pulls out his apple cider packets. Danny is trying to finish the final editing for his thesis and mail it back to BYU. So far, so good. He is loving the fact that he has a real job now.
Jakob just went to his 4 month visit with the pediatrician. He is right on track where he needs to be, he just needs to work on sleeping longer at night. He measured 50 percentile for weight, 70 percentile for height, and 90 percentile for head circumference. "It's like an orange on a toothpick!" (except not orange) Thanks Danny for that trait.
I joined our church choir. In Utah the choir members were all adults and we had about 12 consistently attend. Here the choir is about 30 members and a fourth of them are children. I and another sister are the only altos. She was actually gone the first week so I couldn't figure out my part for the life of me! It didn't help that I was sharing music with a 9 year old who was getting messed up on her part because of me. I attended a great enrichment on food storage and being prepared. I am ready to dive into planning meals for food storage; however I don't have any recipes. I am looking for recipes that have mostly canned ingredients or things that will store easily. If you have any good recipes, please let me know! I am also trying to put together 72 hour kits for each member of the family. Still, I need ideas.
Okay, so now you all have the responsibility of finding me recipes and making me feel better about moving across the country. Miss you all!

5 comments:

Jen and Carl said...

Jamie,
What a cool experience you get to have being in a beautiful state and learning to be a family on your own! I know that it is tough being a way from your family, especially during the holidays, but just enjoy being together with your family and the holidays will still be happy! I am sorry that you are starting to get homesick. I know how that feels. Good job for getting so involved in your ward, that will really help! I will see what I can find for recipes.

Emily Kate said...

Oh girl, I so know what you're saying. I miss beautiful Utah but it's the family that I miss most, and the events we miss out on. Luckily we're going home for Christmas atleast but it's been a long few months. The best thing that's worked for us is to try and get involved with things going on in our ward and get comfortable in the city. If you ever need to chat, give me a call! 801-644-3375.

Kristin said...

Oh Jamie you are going to do just fine you are were you need to be and think of the great mission experience you will have. Your family misses you guys so much and think of you all the time. I still get home sick even when im just a few hours away so it really never leaves you. You will be fine and just know we miss you guys and love you just as much.

amylynne said...

Good thing you have such a cute baby to keep you company!

B. Surfer said...

When Carter wasn't mobile for like 2 years we were stuck in FL for all the holidays... I just invited people over. I made a big deal of having friends over for Thanksgiving that didn't have family nearby and the same thing for Christmas. We made our Friends our family. Family parties and babyshowers? Just do it for your friends.. make their babies your nieces and nephews. Throw showers for them. Take pictures with them and put them up on your walls. It helped us feel a little more connected and thinking less of what we were missing back home. Looking back, it was the best experience for our little family to be on our own.