Monday, November 23, 2009

Mastering fine motor skills



Jakob is learning how to use a spoon. It works best when the food is thick enough or "sticky" enough to stay on the wobbly spoon.

His favorite thing to eat with a fork is macaroni and cheese because you can give it a good stab and get plenty of food. YUM!

He loves having his spoon or fork close by even though he hasn't mastered the skill yet.



Jakob learned this next trick from watching me and Danny. It has taken many months to perfect THIS skill. Finally, Jakob can drink his milk without spilling it down the front of his shirt.

Funniest milk drinking episode: I left Jakob in his booster seat and put him up to the table, instead of using his tray. I figured out that the table was a little tall for eating out of his bowl, but it was the perfect height for sipping the milk!

I happened to look over at him while washing the dishes and noticed he was drinking the milk from his bowl WITHOUT using his hands. Now THAT is talent! His hands dangled by his side as he focused on sipping milk from the tilted bowl. AWESOME!!! My first thought: LAZY BOY! My second thought: You know, that is something Danny would do. :)

I love the creativity that goes on in our house!

2 comments:

Wes and Amy Larsen said...

Is he a lefty?!

Jamie said...

He favors his left hand when he eats so I don't know. Andrew is a lefty, right?