Tuesday, November 24, 2009

What's the deal with lifting?

I was just wondering how much I should or should not be lifting as a 28 week prego mom. I know I've been told to avoid lifting "heavy" objects, but what does that mean exactly?

Things I lift on a weekly basis:
laundry (clothes and basket)
groceries (carrying multiple bags at once)
Jakob (22 pounds)
vacuum
folding chairs

Lately I've been feeling a bit sore after lifting, but then again I know that with second pregnancies you tend to feel more of the stretches and pains than with the first. Also, NOTHING will get done if I'm not the one doing it. (the joy of being a mom)

So here is my question: should I lift or not?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Learn to lift carefully. Keep your back straight, lift with your thighs so the stress isn't on your stomach. Does that help?

faith said...

i agree. as a mom with a young child already there are so many things you can't help but lift. good luck!

Wes and Amy Larsen said...

Try to avoid lifting Jakob. If he can do it himself -let him. You won't be able to carry him everywhere in a couple months anyway!

nomee said...

I agree with Wes and Amy, Im on my 3rd pregnancy and found that I would get sore after lifting as well. So juts take it easy I know its difficult to not carry your son, as I still carry my daughter 3 and my other daughter 1 as well. Im only 17 1/2 weeks, but I begin to notice the difference.

B. Surfer said...

lift. carefully.