Weight: 7lbs 4oz
Height: 19.5 inches
Height: 19.5 inches
After waiting an hour or so from calling the doctor the labor pains started up again. I was now having contractions 6 to 7 minutes a part. With this, Danny and I decided that we should make some babysitter plans for Jakob.
After getting things set up and planned with the sitters my contractions started closer together, about 5 minutes a part, some even 4 minutes a part. It was definitely TIME!!!!
The hospital drive wasn't too bad; not a whole lot of traffic to keep me worried. The only thing I worried about was during one of the contractions I felt the need to push. ( I was not about to deliver in the car!!! ) Also, as the light was clearly green a man decided that it was his turn to cross the road. I was having another contraction as he slowly crossed the street on our Green light. I was screaming at him even though I knew he couldn't hear me, but it did make me feel better.
We finally made it to the hospital at 9:00 a.m.. Danny dropped me off at the emergency room entrance, parked the car vallet, and escorted me to the labor and delivery area. Unfortunately the elevators were under construction so we had to turn around and go through the lobby area. An officer noticed us, asking us if we needed Labor and delivery, then took us to some different elevators down the hall. After pushing the up button the elevator decided it was going to take its sweet little time getting to our level. Finally we noticed the elevator was on our level but the doors would not open. We waited a minute longer, but still no luck. The officer tried using his elevator key to open the door, but still no budge. We could hear voices on the other end so we knew the elevator was there. The officer then went around the corner to the other end of the elevator, since it had a double entry, and opened it for us on the inside. As the doors opened I saw a group of 6 nurses also trying to get to labor and delivery.
Once inside I started having a contraction so I clutched Danny's bag for support. The nurse next to me noticed and responded, "you picked a good elevator. If we get stuck, I'm a midwife and so and so is a lactation specialist so we can help you out. Oh and (showing me the cinnamon rolls wrapped on a plate) here are some treats in case you get hungry." It WAS funny, but I was in no mood to laugh during my contraction so I simply smiled. The nurse noticed my body language and took the reins. She simply said to the poor officer, "this lady is having contractions so maybe sheshould find a different elevator." (the officer was still trying to make the elevator go up with his elevator key) I was glad that she had said something because it was exactly what I was feeling, unable to say it out loud. The officer was tyring to be really helpful so I felt bad that his efforts were in vein....But honestly, I was having contractions 3-5 minutes a part and I was not willing to take the chance of getting stuck on some elevator in the emergency room to have my baby.
The midwife found me a different elevator,led the way through the delivery area, and sent us to the registration desk. She pulled up a chair, wished us luck, and left us with the "registration lady." My first thought: ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!! I'M HAVING CONTRACTIONS AND YOU WANT ME TO SIT AND FILL OUT PAPER WORK?!?!
I finished the papers, having contractions through the entire process, then I was finally admitted into the pre-labor room. At this point I was moving extremely slow. My body hurt and I was feeling a lot of pressure.
Once I was in my bed the nurses proceeded to check my cervix. They even had a bet going to see how far dilated I was. Nurse #1 thought I was a 6, the other nurse wasn't sure so she checked me right away. Nurse #2, "Well. Let's see here. I'd say she's.....uh......try an 8" Me: WHAT?!?! AN 8??
All four of us were shocked! Me especially. I was so proud of myself for going through the pain, being dilated at 8, but then I realized just what that meant: would I still have enough time for an epidural?
I was planning on it, but while talking with the nurse she explained, "Wow, you have been doing really great for being dilated at an 8. In fact, I don't think people would believe that you are at an 8 because of how well you are doing...I don't know if you want to get an epidural because by the time we get the IV in and the anesthesiologist down here, you may be already pushing the baby out...but it's up to you."
I thought about my options and decided not to proceed with the epidural (which is something i've always wanted to try, I just wasn't brave enough. Luckily the situation gave me an excuse to try.) So I decided not to get the pain relief and continued breathing through my contractions, one at a time.
Since I was going to have the baby natural, I was able to walk around a bit and get things moving. I was out of my bed for maybe 10 minutes and suddenly got the urge to push. The nurse was called back into the room and we waited for my doctor-Quinlan to come check my progress. Sure enough....I was dilated at 10 and completely ready to have the baby. The doctor left to change and I was ready to push!
The doctor broke my water and as soon as that was done I had a contraction. With my next contraction I tried pushing. Three contractions and a few pushes later we delivered our Molly Jane. The time was 10:17 a.m., February 11th, 2010. She weighed in at 7 lbs 4 oz. and was 19 1/2 inches long.
I can't believe how quickly she got here. Danny and I are still in disbelief that it all happened within a few hours of arriving at the hospital. We are all so happy!
17 comments:
How fun! It's cool that you got to have Jakob in the room with you. A few times on the page there is a hyphen between Molly-Jane. Is that how her name is so that we are supposed to say both names?
ADORABLE!! How sweet is she!!! Love her already! :) ♥ Good job guys! Hope the first few days go smoothly! Love you!
What a cutie pie! Congrats you guys!
Wow, that was fast! Love the name! She is adorable.
She is so cute. Jamie you look great. I can't believe how good you look after having a baby.
Her name is Molly, but I like both molly and Jane so I put the hyphen in because that is what i like to call her. You can just call her molly.
Congratulations on Molly and Jamie looks good. I hope she feels as good as she looks.
Congratulations Jamie!! Little Molly is beautiful, just like her mommy. I hope you are recovering well, and have a Happy Valentine's Day!
Congrats! She is so adorable and you look fantastic Jamie!
So awesome! Congratulations guys! Can't wait to read the whole story. :)
Congrats! Girls are so fun! I am so jealous that your son got to come to the hospital. My daughter wasn't even allowed in the waiting area! Can't wait to hear the story! :)
Oh my goodness!!! She is so cute!! You look so beautiful! <3 <3
Congratulations you guys! I love her name!
THat is the most amazing delivery story i've ever heard! WOW - and ditto to everyone else - you look FANTASTIC after having a kid. YIkes. i didn't want to be in a piture for weeks afterwards. Hopefully the two kid transition won't be much of a transition for you.
And you are blogging already! Give yourself a round of applause! :) I have always thought you were something amazing...and now I am sure of it. And, what is it with registration for labor/delivery patients! I've had that happen to me several times as well (even when I had called ahead to "pre-register")....and each time it was excruciating (a TRUE exercise in being kind to others when you don't want to be)....isn't there something they can do about that? So glad you survived it!
Jamie,
She is so beautiful! I love her name Molly Jane, so timeless and beautiful! Lots of love & kisses! Laura
CONGRATS!! We were talking to Danny on Sunday, we're going to try and come over on Saturday to visit you and you're darling baby! I will give you a call...
Post a Comment