Monday, January 31, 2011

snow storms (x) 5 weeks = a ton of snow!

We have been doing a lot of this lately:

Yes, watching the snow plow has become our entertainment.  I guess we're easily amused?  We consider it a good day when the plow comes every two hours-that's when you know you're getting a lot of snow!

Our usual routine:  

Wake up to snow: 

Clear the driveway: 

Brush the cars:
(notice the snowman danny  left on the back of the car?)

And go to work:  Danny's off to his job and I'm off entertaining the children. 

I must admit, I'm running out of fun activities for the kids. It's not easy entertaining bored, crying children. I think all parties involved would be happier playing outside...but where do you play?  The snow comes up to Jakob's shoulders!  Luckily Jakob has a great dad, full of creativity! 

Danny's genious idea:
A snow path! 

Danny's plan involved a train pathway, but our sweet neighbor took the initiative to shovel a horse shoe while Danny was at work.  Jakob likes walking, and even running, around the snow path.  It sure makes for a good play area.

Another neighbor noticed the fun and let Jakob borrow a bag full of beach toys to shovel, stack, and make shapes in the snow.  Jakob has been loving it! 


He likes shoveling snow onto the pathway.  He also likes sliding the shovel into the big stack of snow to see how far it will go in.  (He may or may not have lost a few shovels in the snow stacks.  I guess we'll just have to wait till spring?)
   



Since the snow is so deep, we haven't been able to successfully build a snowman.
  Luckily our neighbor has the right idea:

And although I'm sure Molly would love running around the path with Jakob, she is stuck in her warm snow suit, unable to move much.  Besides, the snow goes past her head.....



Our neighborhood looks a little different with all this snow.  Can you believe another storm is headed our way this week?  I think it's due to hit Tuesday or Wednesday. 


I don't think our roof can handle more snow!  There have been a few roofs collapsing or starting to leak in the area, so I hope our landlord decides to do something about ours soon.  The weight of the snow can't be good on this older home.   

Jakob has discovered that snow is for playing in and eating!  Danny gave him the talk about avoiding colored snow.  He even showed him a patch of snow perfect for eating. Jakob eats the snow then blows on his hands to warm them up.  I guess he's well taken care of. 

So I've tried to look at the positive side to all this snow, which I'm still trying to figure out, but in case I need a reminder of the snow storms from the past I can just look at its history:


Can you see the layers?  I think it's pretty cool.  If you look closely, you can see a thick layer of ice in the very center of the snow.  That was from the ice storm a few weeks back. 

Until next time... 

3 comments:

Marla said...

My Goodness! That is a LOT of snow!

nlybbs said...

BRRRR! Don't hate me, but I'm really not jealous!

faith said...

Holy smokes!! The snow path looks like a great idea, but I do not think I could handle that. Glad you're all finding ways to have fun. Keep warm!