Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The life of a 3-year-old...

 ...busy, creative, emotional, comedian, physical, a tease and the list goes on!

I have to admit, I was waiting patiently for the day when Jakob would finally understand that there are consequences to our choices or the fact that sometimes we just need to do what Mommy or Daddy ask because that's how we show obedience to our parents. 

 I am happy to see major improvements to both!

We still work on these concepts every single day, but as I recall rather difficult moments in toddler hood where I literally cried right there on the floor with my uncontrollable toddler because of the frustration and hurt feelings I was experiencing, I am relieved that hard work does pays off and that it was but a small moment in growth and development that has helped him become who he is now (as a child, that is....I just cannot wait until he hits the wonderful teens).  Thankfully Heavenly Father has heard my prayers and blessed me with patience and endurance with this guy. 

Jakob still throws amazing tantrums and has a unique stubborn personality that would make anyone rethink becoming a parent, but I have learned that the key for Jakob has been consistent reinforcement and continuous love; something that we all need.  He is very gentle and genuinely sweet in small moments of his day. 

Lately we have been working on apologizing if we are in the wrong.  It has taken four long weeks, but now if Jakob is in the wrong he quickly gives his sister a hug and a kiss and says "Sorry, Molly"...if not, than the threat of going to time-out encourages a quick response.  Why is it so hard to say those simple words: I'm sorry.  I know it has taken me 27 long years to figure out this concept....I'm still working on it. 

Something else that has been encouraging positive behavior is the beloved STICKER CHART!  I am amazed how motivated Jakob has been to earn a sticker.  Of course ice cream is enough to motivate me to make better choices. :)   Jakob is staying in his bed at night ( and through the night, which is also very important) and sharing with Molly, taking naps, and cleaning up his toys.    Oh how I love watching Jakob clean up ALL his toys.  I don't usually have to remind him, he just starts cleaning.  Even Molly chimes in on the clean up song to put toys away.  

We have been playing restaurant with playdoh, making pizza and putting it in the oven; taking orders and giving the right amount for what was ordered.  Occasionally I get the order mixed up on purpose to help him problem solve and use his mathematical skills to figure out the numbers.  He also enjoys finding color patterns in the Dr. Seuss books and sorting toys.  And just the other night with a little help from me he sounded out the word PLOP.  

I am so very thankful for the learning moments that I get to experience being a parent.  Something like this:

(Panda Bear, Bald Eagle, Water Buffalo, Spider Monkey, Green Sea Turtle, Macaroni Penguin, Sea Lion, Red Wolf, Whooping Crane, and Black Panther)

gives me full satisfaction and confidence that everything is going to be just fine.

Or a moment like this:

that makes me realize how fast our time here on earth really is and how much we still need to experience in order to fully understand God's plan for us.   For me, my children help me see that small opening into the future...which is intimidating and exhilarating all at the same time.  And I am grateful for that knowledge. 

I am proud of the improvements that the age of 3 has brought to our family dynamic.  I've heard that getting past four is the real trick and then it's smooth sailing until the age of the teens....at least that's what I've heard.   

No comments: