Friday, November 18, 2011

The ABC's of Fall: K is for....

Kindness

 For a while now I have been thinking about the concept of kindness. 

I'm not perfect at this; I want to be a kind person, but it's not always easy.  I expect my children to be kind to one another, so it makes sense that I need to exercise being kind to them (and others). 

I find it's easier to be kind to others who are kind to me (obviously), but it is a true test of kindness when I am kind to those who are unkind to me.  That is the moment I can see the type of person I am (or am not).

Like I said, I am not perfect, but I want to hope and believe that in the difficult moments where I have exercised being kind (and sometimes it was really, really hard), I strengthened a part of me that is perfectly exemplified by our savior, Jesus Christ.

November and December are the best months to practice kindness in a Christmas-spirit-sort-of-way, and it comes natural and easy to us as we celebrate this time of year, but how do we continue the same amount of kindness when we don't have the "magic" of the season and the twinkling lights to inspire us to be kind to others (especially when they are unkind to us)?

It takes a lot of self-control. 

I am trying to be kind.  I am trying to be a good example to my children....at least I can say that I am trying.  Tis the Season!  ( and BE KIND!)  :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The smiles on your kids faces indicate you are very kind.