Sunday, November 27, 2011

The ABC's of Fall: N is for...

NEW Church Callings

In a matter of three weeks, Danny and I were both called upon for new service opportunities in our church (ward).  Danny worked with the youth in the Young Men's program for last two years, and I had been trying my best as the ward music chairman, so I guess you could say we were ready for a change.

Neither of us had a clue where we were needed, so it was a bit daunting to meet with the Bishop and accept the unexpected (because personally, I will not turn down a calling of service....if it means I will learn and grow in a spiritual way, then I am happy to take on the "challenge").  

Danny has been called as the assistant ward mission leader/ward missionary and I have been called to further my musical leadership as the ward music chairman/choir director........wait, WHAT?!?!..............did you just say choir director?  Oh, of course.  That makes a lot of sense.  :)

The good news is I have sung in many choirs, so I know what needs to be done to make everyone sound fantastic; the bad news is I don't know a whole lot about conducting music, let alone an adult choir!  (Marla, please help!) 

At any rate, I am excited (and really really nervous) to get started. 

Now how do I find music for this adult choir that I am suppose to be in charge of? 

3 comments:

Janeal said...

I was called as Ward Choir Director too!!! This is my third time and it is still a daunting task :) Go to defordmusic.com...Sally Deford has some beautiful hymn arrangements and a really pretty silent night with choir and congregation at the end that is easy enough to put together in a few weeks. Also, anything by the Beebe sound is great. I use Best In Music in orem for all of my music and they will ship to you at a really low rate! Also, the Hymplicity books are awesome if you need some stuff quick to get started and have a lower budget. Call if you need anything! Love ya! Janeal

Wes and Amy Larsen said...

Your ward and stake should have a music library. I LOVED being the ward choir director. So much fun! I also used the Hymnplicity books. Conducting- remember right hand keeps the beat, left is used to bring in and cut off, loud/soft, etc.

Marla said...

That's three of us now. Wow! I am having so much fun doing this. I LOVE directing the choir, though I am still trying to remember what it is I am supposed to be doing. During practices I will get so caught up in listening to the music that I will forget that I am supposed to be conducting. Last time we sang in Sacrament Meeting I forgot to seat the choir when we were done. I started moving the music stand and noticed the bishop trying to decide if he should keep standing or sit down. Ooops. Be sure to ask for inspiration as you pick the music and write the words for the Christmas program. I always feel like I am just typing them, not coming up with them. Good luck, and have fun!