Wednesday, February 6, 2013

an update of sorts

I just had my 12 week ultrasound on Monday.   Finally!   I was struggling to get past those pesky 11 weeks and now I'm finally over it (now 13 weeks) and I am more happy than ever.

I know it seems silly to linger in past worries or fears that something could happen to this baby, but because the last miscarriage was so "spontaneous" it's hard to believe everything will be "normal" for me.  Which doctors have assured me that it will, I just have anxiety I guess.  

I met the ultrasound technician (which happened to be the very same person who helped me with the last baby) and sure enough, she remembered me.  I don't think she remembered specifics of our last meeting but she knew we had met before.

I followed her directions and tried to get comfortable.  I was still very nervous, trying to stay calm and breathe normal.  Thank goodness she helped ease the stress.  She was excited, animated and shared sweet compliments about the cuteness (and cooperation) of the baby.  I was taken back by her enthusiasm because in our last meeting she communicated in a quiet, matter-of-fact way, trying not to give away too much information about complications.

  I guess when there's good news about baby's development they're allowed to discuss it with the patient.

 Anyway, it was delightful.  I got to watch the baby stretch, squirm and turn to it's side. I said a simple, short prayer when test results showed the baby is developing normal.  The thickness of the neck is perfect, as well as length of nose (which is often a determiner of downs...I didn't know that), and the umbilical cord is attached in the correct position.  

After such wonderful news I can now enjoy the healthy growth of my developing baby.  Here's to August 15th!

Until next time.....



4 comments:

Janeal said...

Yea!!!!!!

faith said...

That is wonderful news! Glad everything is going well. And I hope you're feeling good on top of everything.

PerkinsClan said...

Happy to hear! I've been wondering about you ever since Monday!

Wes and Amy Larsen said...

So glad to hear it!