For the last three weeks or so I have had experiences where I was tenderly reminded that I need to SLOW IT DOWN and pay more attention to the needs around me. With each prompting, it is the same message: Jamie, you need to stop what you are doing and listen. or Jamie, are not "listening". Sometimes all I hear is Jamie .... and then I automatically know what it means. Unfortunately, for the last three weeks I've been telling that voice that I don't think I can just "stop" and listen. This is a poor answer (and I absolutely know it, too) but my busy activities-dishes, laundry, dusting, bathrooms, sweeping-require my active service or else it will never get done. I tried to answer back to that prompting by allowing Danny and the kids to help out more. We had a Family Home Evening lesson on helping out around the house and chores, hoping it was enough to provide me more listening opportunities at home, but it still keeps me busy because I have to keep up on everyone else and make sure they do their part of the work. It's more time consuming to constantly remind them to do their part than it is to just do it for them, but I know the value in teaching young children responsibility and hard work so I will keep with it. (man, the husband still hasn't hung up the pile of clothes and it has been 2 weeks! It makes me feel like I'm taking care of 4 children....Love ya danny, but it's true.) So with the kids taking on some responsibility, I feel like in time it will help slow down the busy-ness at home; although I still feel promptings that I am not listening well enough to the children, especially Jakob. He is entering a phase where he needs his mother's listening ear to feel loved. He wants to share his learning with me constantly and most of the time I am too "busy" to STOP AND JUST LISTEN to him but I know that I need to.
I am also failing to listen for opportunities to serve the Sisters whom I visit teach. I have been MIA since having Sophia (and a companion change in September) and I know that I need to get back into the habit of listening for ways to be a friend and Sister.
On Sunday, Kit taught a lesson in Relief Society and, although I don't remember the topic right now, I do remember feeling the same prompting that I need to listen for missionary opportunities or moving forward in my missionary experiences (neighbors/friends). Kit challenged us to pray daily for missionary experiences-with a fine reward at the end if we accept-and while I have been praying for experiences I have failed to listen for the spirits guidance to help me be successful with it. You can't just pray and expect something to happen if you don't act on it first (or listen).
My life is busy right now. I am trying to keep it all together, and most of the time I am successful; however, is it really more important to have it all together than to ignore the gentle promptings of the spirit? A part of me is too anxious and I suffer from a slight case of OCD to let everything fall a part. Or is it pride? I don't know for sure, but there has to be a better balance between the two in my life right now.
I just haven't figured out how to do it yet.
Thankfully, life continues to be great for our family! Danny and the kids were sick a week ago, but are generally healthy most of the time. Danny has a great job and he likes what he is doing with the company. I am surviving the worst of being a mother of three, and also feeling the love that accompanies it. There's not a whole lot that gets me down, other than children who don't cooperate and constantly fight, so I'll call that a win!
Here are highlights of what we have been doing this fall:
![]() |
| Another scrapbook by Smilebox |

1 comment:
Jamie, I see a lot of shades of a past faith when reading through this. I think one if the benefits of having more kids is that if you are willing, they can help you so much to focus more on the important things. I have always been such a perfectionist and that does not bode well for my sanity with kids! It's hard. But very satisfying when you see the moments that you worked so hard for. I hope you are able to find something that works for you.
Post a Comment