![]() |
| Picture collage created with Smilebox |
Jakob works hard at doing his very best. He prides himself on staying on green, earning rewards for good behavior, coloring so neatly you can't tell it was colored pencil, getting perfect scores on spelling, reading above grade level, writing detailed stories about puppies or other topics of importance, and many other works of perseverance that make me, his teachers, or himself happy. I especially appreciate his motivation in the hectic hours of the morning, getting himself dress, bed made, breakfast ready, lunch/snacks organized, homework folder emptied, teeth brushed and prayers said. We started a checklist of morning responsibilities and Jakob has been all over it. It has been a positive motivator to have the list to refer to, especially on several occasions when "the dude's" imagination distracts his responsibilities and all I have to say is: "What's next on the list?" Lately Jakob has been easily distracted by random toys around the house or even just while thinking and I often have to redirect him back to work. Luckily he can switch back on after his mind has been off, although it has been happening a lot more throughout the month and I worry it's becoming a problem at school. (Oh to be a child again!!! I miss having an active imagination.)
Thanks to Molly's introduction to shopkinz, Jakob has been an active participant in trading and accumulating shopkinz from friends at school. I almost didn't believe it when he told me that he walked right up to his friends and asked if they had any shopkinz to give away. I was curious why he would come home with two or three new shopkinz when I knew that he didn't have any to begin with. After collecting several little toys from his friends, he then started trading or bartering his "outstanding owls" to entice his friends to give him more. You did what?? Finally, his good friend from 4th grade got in the action and has been his accomplice through the art of persuasion. I shouldn't be surprised, but he gained a few more characters through manipulating persuading his friends that he needed more. It has been an interesting process to watch Jakob interact with his peers in a more social confronting kind of way; a way that is somewhat foreign to my socially shy big kids. I've been curious to see how this will all pan out and so far it has been a good social experience for him. Let's hope he doesn't burn too many bridges through his determination/fascination with collecting toys.
(unfortunately, he also obsesses with ordering his favorite toys on amazon because he just has to "have" it RIGHT NOW or it's the end of the world. Sadly, this is a natural impulse for myself adults, too.)
Sophia just adores her big brother. She loves getting piggy back rides and snuggling with him on the couch while watching Netflix with their stuffed-animal friends. On parent pick-up days, Sophia is the first to run up to Jakob and give him a big hug and shouts of excitement as she notices him across the gym. Jakob is sweet to his baby sister by being the first one to get her out of her room in the mornings, playing meow-meows, chasing her around the house, tucking her in her snuggles, and giving her ugga-mugga's right before bed. It's nice that they share a loving sibling relationship, since he and molly don't share the same fondness for each other. :) Jakob tries to be patient with both of his sisters and I'm proud of his effort in doing that, although I know it isn't always easy. Right now he is working on using the strength of his words rather than his fists/kicks to let one particular sister know she is treading on stressful territory. She doesn't always understand her intrusion, and Jakob is far to quick to anger (much like me *sigh), but we are working on it daily and I notice that he tries to make the right choice, which is all I can really expect.
Jakob is trying to read the Book of Mormon by the time he turns 8. I don't know how much he really understands at this point in his life, but I do know that it is a good habit worth starting at such a young age. My goal for him would be to turn to the scriptures to seek answers to difficult life experiences/questions/trials as well as study the stories. In the adult Sunday School last week we discussed Lehi's vision of the tree of life and how it was meant for our day. I hope all of my children can turn to the word of god (iron rod) as their compass through "mists of darkness", and with "great and spacious buildings" where mocking peers will make fun of and scorn us to embarrassment so that we might not partake of the sweetness of the "fruit" or Love of God. We live in the last days and its going to be really rocky from here on out....I truly hope that all of us (especially the kiddos) will be armored for what is to come by reading and using the Book of Mormon daily and I'm proud that Jakob is trying to do that now. :)
No matter how much or how little sugar we have in the house, the kids crave it! Seriously! The kids ask me all the time "what is for dessert?" or "can I have a cookie?" even when we clearly don't have any of that in the house. I try to have a dessert for Family Home Evening, but I don't provide much during the week. Lately Molly and Jakob have found that melting chocolate chips and dipping pretzles in such goodness is about the "sweetest" thing they can get their hands on all by themselves. They love it.
I don't love that it makes a huge mess and often results in chocolate all over their face and stains on their shirt, but if it's just chocolate and pretzels to quench the sweet tooth then I'm okay with it. I love chocolate too, so I totally get the whole get-your-hands-on-as-much-chocolate-as-possible feeling, even when it's completely unnecessary. We just have to find the balance when it comes to emotional eating.
At the beginning of January, Jakob began volunteer work at an animal care center with his neighbor friend. He is in charge of feeding and changing the cage of the cockateils and is even allowed to hold them for a few minutes during each visit. Jakob was hesitant at first and refused do any of the more difficult tasks, but now with a few weeks under his belt he has really enjoyed working closely with the animals. I love that J has a buddy who is also highly motivated to work with the animals and to be in nature. It is nice for Jakob to have a friend with common interests to help him with something that he wouldn't normally do without someone by his side. I'm glad they can be there for each other.
I've noticed that Jakob is growing longer, leaner, and smarter as a second grader. Not only smart in academics, but also in figuring out life and friendships. It is kind of a fun age for me to feel like I can have more grown-up conversations with him and actually discuss important topics or life-lessons that will effect him for the rest of his life. He is at an age of accountability and with that I am able to give him more responsibility, trust, and rewards, because he as able to understand more of what it all means: the big picture! Second grade is my favorite age (it's also my very favorite age to teach) and I'm enjoying this young man that Heavenly Father has asked me to help him with. I couldn't be prouder of my baby boy son. He's doing great things and learning a little bit about hardships along the way.

No comments:
Post a Comment